Jokers Hill

Sunday, January 13, 2013

A note on collaboration


I’ve been thinking about collaboration. Writing, the actual putting of words on the page, is for the most part a solitary activity—and one reason I’ve welcomed the chance to be involved with KSR is the opportunity it offers me for solitude. I like the space being by myself creates, I like wandering and looking and thinking without having to talk as I go. My reading and writing can proceed at their own pace when I have time and space to feel my way along an idea or a sentence.

But behind this solitary thinking and writing are other people. My writing draws on what I’ve read, questions I’ve asked that someone has responded to, ideas I’ve heard expressed, and once I have a finished version of something I look around for people to read it. I want, first, readers whom I trust to consider the writing rather than my ego: is it actually finished? what are its weaknesses? where does it not make itself clear? At this stage the work of writing becomes, ideally, collaborative and through the collaboration the work is clarified and strengthened. In my experience the best editing is a collaborative process during which the poem or essay grows closer and closer to saying fully what it wants to say.

I’ve been learning something about how science is practiced and how scientists are educated. Earlier this year I had lunch with zoologist Steve Tobe and some of the students from his lab.* One of them was a young woman from a very small town in mainland China. When someone asked her if she felt isolated or lonely being in a large western city and having to live in another language, she replied no, because she had her companions, the other students in the lab. They constitute a community who not only work together but also play together and help each other out. She added that she thought it was often difficult for the Chinese students who came here to study history or politics, because they didn’t make close connections with their fellow students in the same way, through collaborating on an on-going project.  

My own training was in the humanities at a time when the first person was never used in a university essay, but that had more to do with ideas of objectivity and final truths than any humility. When I look back it seems the ego was central and competition the rule. You were supposed to get your ideas expressed well and claim ownership of them before someone else beat you to it. I don’t know if education in science then proceeded with the same sense of collaboration it seems to have now—or for that matter if my sense that collaboration is intrinsic to the practice of science is accurate. I look forward to discussing this with people involved at KSR and I’ll be exploring ideas and forms of collaboration from time to time in this blog. 


*If you're curious about Prof. Tobe (his research subjects are cockroaches and he looks like Einstein) here are some links: 

No comments:

Post a Comment